Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Roast with Carrots and Mashed Potatoes


On Sundays I usually make a nice Roast in the crock pot with cut up potatoes and carrots, sometimes I make mashed potatoes when I'm feeling especially nice. This Sunday, however, we had Stouffer's Lasagna because it was Mother's day and Shawn was in charge of dinner. It was great and I really appreciated it but my roast is better, haha. Anyways, it was really fun for everyone to have roast and potatoes on a Tuesday and since Heidi loves mashed potatoes (maybe even more than me) she helped me make dinner. She helped peel the potatoes and then when they were done boiling she dumped in all the fattening stuff that make mashed potatoes so yummy while I mashed away. We had fun talking about school and all the fun things we were going to do this summer.

Here's my favorite recipe for roast:

Beef Pot Roast - Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (tweaked a bit by Shelly)

Roast (whatever size you want, I buy about 3 to 4 lbs but I only use half for this recipe and the other half I use for tomorrows recipe: Beef Stew, Shredded BBQ beef sandwiches or Fajitas)
3/4 cup water
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp instant beef bouillon granules
1 tsp dried basil, crushed
a bunch of baby carrots

I just throw the roast in the crock pot along with the carrots. Then I mix up the water, Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon and basil and pour over the top and then I could it for at least 4 hours but the longer the better I think.
Then to make the gravy just take a couple cups of the sauce left over in the crock pot when it's all finished cooking and add about a half cup of water with a two or three tsp of cornstarch. Stir over medium heat until nice and bubbly and kind of thick. It's yummy!

Mashed Potatoes (I don't really have a recipe, so this is pretty vague)

about 2 potatoes per person (if you really like your potatoes like we do)
a lot of butter
a few dollops of sour cream
salt
pepper
just enough milk to make it creamy
sometimes I add garlic powder

Sometimes I peel the potatoes, sometimes I don't. It's creamier I think if you do peel them. Boil with a few dashes of salt until soft -about 15 to 20 minutes. Then mash with all that yummy fattening stuff. Taste it until tastes right and then taste it some more just for fun. I LOVE mashed potatoes!

No comments: